Sunday, September 25, 2011

Week 3 - Journal Entry #2


Have you ever come across a time where you were asked to read out loud,

then explain what you just finished reading?  Do you remember if you were able to

successfully summarize the story or was it difficult to even remember what the

story was even about?  When I was growing up, I had a really difficult time

comprehending anything I would read silently or read aloud to the class.  I have

been like that since grammar school all the way up till my second year of college.  To

be honest, I really don’t know why I couldn't grasp the material that I read.  But

two years ago, all of that changed in my English 92/1A class with Mrs. Bell.  I was a

pretty mediocre student with basic English skills.  But by the end of the semester I

turned my weakest subject into my strongest subject in school.  My teacher helped

us view stories from another point of view and taught us how to open our minds to

new things and expand our horizon’s.  The more practice she gave us, the better we

became at it.  One thing that I can reflect on is that it helps out so much if you are

reading a book that you are at least familiar with the topic.  For example, if you work

with children, then reading a book about the psychology of a child’s mind would definitely

interest and keep you engaged.  I believe that the first trick in becoming a better

reader and learning how to comprehend the material is by reading something that

interests you.  Once you go beyond reading the text and start asking questions and

making connections, you will be that much closer to understanding the context.

            Now as for me, I need to have a quiet place to read in order to comprehend the

material.  If there are people talking or yelling in the same room as me, then there

is no way I will be able to regurgitate anything that I read.  I am the type to easily

get distracted if I see something else going on.  So that is why I must be in a room

that is completely silent.  Without that, I will have a really hard time concentrating

and lose complete focus.  I have tried reading while there was music playing or

having the TV on.  But I noticed I don’t give my full attention to the book, therefore I

wont be able to thoroughly go over anything I read.  Also finding time to read can be

a hassle as well.  One of the biggest tasks is trying to balance being a full time

student and working part time while still managing time to schedule room for

homework and reading.  It’s not easy but my only option is to do all my homework

and reading on Saturday’s.  And I wouldn’t say it’s difficult for me to read because I

really enjoyed reading Persepolis, but the only challenging thing is trying to manage

time to read and blog by Sunday evening.  Considering that I have a lot of homework

and other obligations to do, I try to put my priorities first and make time to

complete my homework before the deadline is due.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your journal, and some of the points you raised are interesting. I was in the same position as you were when I was growing up. I had some kind of reading comprehensions. Because of this problems, reading was not my subject. But then school is all about reading as we know. If one doesn't read then the consequence of that is obviously nothing less than failure. It means there is no way to avoid reading if ones aim is to succeed in life. So, this reality became the best one of best tools I had to use in breaking my reading comprehension problems. Like they say, "practice makes perfect". The more practice I did, the better my understanding gets. I think it's not only you and I who may have had this problem, I believe all most every student suffers from this problem during their first years of school and intensive study. Fortunately, most of us get solution and overcome this unique problem in the end with struggle and efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the more associations one makes, the more information they will retain and remember. Many psychologists also state that to move an information into the long-term memory, one must use the new information and use it to make associations with past events, memories or information. I also cannot study is a loud environment. I find it so hard to concentrate on the material I am reading. Also I think its more relaxing to read in a quiet room because you can actually use your imagination while reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex.... I agree with you one hundred percent. I too have issues reading, especially reading what I had just read five minutes prior.

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete