Sunday, September 18, 2011

Prompt 2 choice #2


One of the scenes that I had a really strong connection with was in the passage from pages 67-71.  This is where her uncle comes into the story and Marjane creates a strong bond with him while he is there visiting.  Then one day, her mother tells her that he is on a “road trip” which marjane already knows that saying means that he could be dead.  In a previous passage, found on page 48, marj tells Laly (her friend) the same thing about her father Siamak.  When someone is on a road trip, it means that they are dead.

Following on page 70, Marjane is laying in bed telling herself that everything will be all right.  That is when you see god come back in to the story and ask her what’s wrong.  She is so infuriated of finding out that her uncle was killed that she yells at god and tells him to shut up and never come back into her life again.  As a child it must be so difficult to understand and deal with death, especially having someone so close to you in your life.  This is a changing point where you see Marj beginning to lose her faith in religion because of all the horrible things happening to her in her life.

My connection in the book with my own personal experience also comes with losing a loved one.  It has been exactly one year ago this past Friday (Sept. 16) that my best friend Vince died in a car accident.  I went through a very difficult time back then, I felt a great deal of depression, anxiety and confusion as to what happened to him.  He had such a big influence and impact on my life that I spent some of the best years of my life with him.  Then to get that phone call the very next day while I was at work just broke my heart.  I knew that he had so much to offer that I didn’t want to accept his death.  I began questioning everything, like, “Why did he deserve this fate?” Or, “What could I have done to have prevented this from happening?”  There were so many things running through my mind that I even started questioning my own faith and religion.  I am a catholic so right away I started to ask myself if there was a god and if so, how could he allow someone to lose his life in such a horrific and young age.  I didn’t know what to believe anymore as I started to view life in a different manner now.  I can understand the type of emotions and feelings she was going through in the story.  It is not an easy thing to deal with, especially for someone as young as marj who is still a child and doesn’t have a greater understanding of life as an adult would.
I think this scene in the story has a greater meaning behind it from just reading the context literal.  Yes, Marjane is going through a hard time, considering the fact that she is exposed to a war, death and hatred as a child.  How is this going to impact her life as she gets older?  Will she become an activist and protest against her government when she’s an adult?  Also, I think the author may have put this passage in the story to expand the reader’s own comprehension to view their own life and help appreciate what they have.   How many of us are really affected by the war that is currently happening right now over sea’s?  Our lives still carry on as if there was nothing happening.  We don’t have to see people being killed, tortured, or scavenging for food.  This is something that marj and her family are going through and it has a huge impact on her way of viewing life.  I also believe that the author purposely put this passage in the novel to setup what may be coming up next in our following reading of the book.

1 comment:

  1. I don't understand why the writer had a whole segment about Marj and her uncle bounding. Was it to keep her males attences capatived or was it show the perspective of a man who actually give his life for the fight? He was one of my favorite chacerter so far.
    Anyhow, My condolences goes out to you and Vince's family. About three years ago. I had lost my father and one of my best friends in the same year. For my father it was his time to go. Its better for him now. But Larry Lu god rest his soul. He was coming of age. He was the heir to the TK noodles franchise. He was the type to guys that drop everything and anything he was doing to help someone out. He was a guy you can depend on. He had too lost in life in a car accident. Larry was known for driving while he was a bit buzz. He was coming home from a get together in SF. He end up taking 280 home which is known for lots of narrow turns. Somehow he end up spinning out in a 2005 Porsche Carrera 4 with one of our other friend in the car. The car hit a tree and both were pronounces dead on contact . The blood test show that he didn't have any alcohol in his system. Its was just a freak incidents.
    Just wanted to share it with you and let you know that bad thing do happen to good people. Life is not always fair but somehow thing will works it self out. RIP to Vince and Larry Lu

    ReplyDelete